A Brief History
Formed as a concert party in 1924 by members and friends of Lewisham Methodist Church, the College Park Players were instrumental in raising considerable sums for local charities. The company continued until the outbreak of war; the culminating point being an open-air production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in 1939 with a cast of 32!
The Company was reformed in 1948 by Mr Sydney Housman and some of the pre-war members to put on a production of "They came to a City" by J. B. Priestley. Encouraged by it's success, the company continued to meet at Lewisham Methodist Church to rehearse and produce plays on a regular basis.
Due to a lack of stage facilities at the church, for several years the plays were performed at the nearby Davenport Hall until in 1954, the company celebrated it's first production in the newly rebuilt Lewisham Methodist Church by presenting "When We Are Married", another Priestley play.
In 1969, the Company transferred its activities to Burnt Ash Methodist Church in Lee where it continues to rehearse and perform two productions a year supporting the Church and various charities. It is the oldest existing amateur drama group in the Lewisham area and has produced over 120 plays since 1924.